Friday, 7 November 2008

Silas day 19, Pt I

Yesterday Silas drank just shy of 11 litres. Not fabulous but could be a lot worse. His temperature is still 39.4 and he had one jab of penicillin last night. He's still bright in the eye but just cannot get up without our help and walking is clearly incredibly hard for him. We have the vet booked for 2pm and I am waiting for him to call to discuss where to next. I think his joints need to be flushed and I am unsure as to whether this is something that can be done here or whether we need to take him to Massey. I am pretty positive we're dealing with septic arthritis/joint ill now. We been waiting two days for culture results from the joint fluid drained earlier in the week and I am getting quite frustrated by the delay. I HATE seeing him in so much pain and I just want to make it all better. I hate that his short life has been so miserable so far. I know he still wants to be here but I really don't know how long is fair to make him suffer like this. I guess once he stops trying, we will know that enough is enough?

We've started him on Equine Herbals 'Equiflam Plus' for his joints, kindy sent to us by NZ Botanicals.

I have been milking Hooty every few hours and so far have managed to get around 4 litres off her to top up Silas' feeds. I had hoped that the Vetpro powder might fix the constipation but so far, nothing has. He is getting it out but it is very, very hard still. He's fed well today which is one positive, having downed 5 litres, 1.5 litres of which has been provided by Hooty - thank you Hooty!!

1 comment:

  1. You can do it!!! Keep it up. If eyes are still bright, there is still hope hon!!! So proud of you (and him!) :o) Me XXX