Saturday 2 May 2009

Impending New Arrival ...

I know I am supposed to be downsizing and I have done pretty well really BUT, when the chance to welcome Saffron into the family came up, how could I refuse?

Saffron's human Mum and Dad are having a bit of a change of direction which involves selling their LSB in Wellington and this means that Saffron needs to find a new home. Hamish's fillies are very few and far between (only 3 have been born) and with the tragic death of Kismet Farm's Storm earlier this year, there are currently only two! I have always regretted selling BJ (although not regretted the home she went to - it's fabulous!) but now we have a beautiful half TB filly by Hamish (out of a Centro - Kaapstad mare) coming to live with us, I am thrilled! I can't wait for her to arrive!!!

Saffron was a very late foal (March '08) so unfortunately is unlikely to be an in-hand prospect, which is disappointing as I have yet to show any of Hamish's progeny in hand - perhaps by the time she is a rising 3yo she will be mature enough to look ok - only time will tell. I do hope to keep her as a future broodmare so my plan at this stage is to keep her, get her backed, ride her myself initially and then find a nice rider to take her out and about for a few years - I want her to have a performance career before she is retired to the broodmare paddock.

Saffron at a few weeks of age
Saffron
Missy - By Centro ex Capsimation by Kaapstad

Now finger's crossed that the weather behaves itself tomorrow for branding and gelding and then we are off to collect Meg from Gavin and Nicole's place - She's all ready to go! Very exciting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment