Tuesday 21 April 2015

The Three T's

So when I set out to breed a foal, my ultimate goal is to produce a horse with the "Three T's" - Temperament, type and trainability. I'm not breeding for the professional rider and I don't breed horses that I expect to perform at the highest levels of equestrian sport (although that's not to say that it could not happen). I am instead breeding for people like myself, people who simply want to have fun and enjoy their four legged friends. Usually I don't keep the horses that I breed - at the end of the day the stud is a 'self funding' hobby so youngstock must be sold in order to allow me to continue what I do. So, instead of keeping them I must content myself with following their journeys in their new homes with their new families (and I LOVE all the updates and news I get) however, Ailbhe is one with whom I am enjoying the complete journey. 

Ailbhe really has the BEST temperament. Three years ago he was introduced to the horse float and he had two very long truck journeys when he was 6 months old. As  2 year old he went to some grazing off the property for a few months so was trailered again and since then he's been nowhere near a horse float or a truck. This is what happened when I dragged him out of the paddock today to see what he would think - BOOM, self loading! And I didn't even teach him that, it just kinda happened. LOVE LOVE LOVE him!!!


1 comment: